Friday, August 11, 2006

The infinite Tayto man

Remember in school, when a teacher was trying to explain infinity to you, and they would say stuff like "imagine counting all the stars in the sky, or all the grains of sand on the beach, and whatever number you get, multiply it by itself, and infinity is still a higher number"? No? Oh, right...guess it was just me then.

For some reason, when I woke up this morning, I thought of the infinite Tayto man.

Taytos are a famous Irish crisp (or potato chip to you guys from across the Atlantic), and the logo on the bag is a wee yellow man holding a bag of Tayto (see picture). About ten years ago, it freaked me out when I realised that if that yellow gentleman on the bag is holding a bag of Tayto, then there must be an even smaller chap on that bag, himself holding an even more diminuitive bag of Tayto...and so on into infinity. See what I mean? >>>

Imagining that somewhere in that crisp packet, there is a wee Tayto man, possibly only microns tall, and that he's holding an even smaller version of himself, it just boggled my mind, and gave me a much better grasp on infinity than trying to imagine stars or sand or any of that shit.

That is all.




EDIT: Ladies, it has finally been scientifically proven:


Sorry, I'm taken. :-)

And besides, if you read that stuff, it's basically saying I'm a two-faced bastard; that's not exactly good.

9 Comments:

freshairlover blathered this crap:

Isn't the Tayto man supposed to be a crisp? That would mean he's eating a bag of himself.

That's sick.

You all have better crisps than us here. I would kill for some Walkers cheese and onion crisps right now. Yum.

Marcia blathered this crap:

The infinite Tayto man is like the infinite Hasselhoff that was floating around the internet a few months ago (Hasslehoff wearing a speedo with a picture of himself on it, in that picture, he's wearing the same speedo... the camera follows the infinite loop).

This image is much less disturbing than that.

Kav blathered this crap:

fal: Man, now you are just freaking me out. Tayto Man is an infinite cannibal? I'm struggling to cope with such a disturbing, complex notion.

Oh, and Walkers are the shiznit. They have a new Spicy Chilli flavour that I am addicted to.

I'll post some over to you if you want. ;-)

marcia: Welcome, thanks for stopping by. Have you seen the White Stripes video for Seven Nation Army? Same idea, but nowhere near as disturbing as The Hoff's hypno-thong.

I met him once, when I was in New York. He whistled at his kids, the way you'd call a dog. True story.

Beckie R blathered this crap:

You'd like some of MC Escher's stuff, then, because it deals with infinity alot. And also fractal images (also mathematical). It's one of the hardest mathematical concepts to teach people about unless they have that lightbulb moment like you did with the Tayto man.

Jennie C. blathered this crap:

We have butter here like that. Land 'O Lakes. An indian girl on the box holds another box of butter with an indian girl holding a box with an indian girl holding a box with an indian girl holding a box...sorry. We also have a planter's peanut man encouraging us to eat other peanuts. It's like cannibalism. Just like your Tayto man.

duckie blathered this crap:

I've see that wee yellow man before. I vacum him out of my couch cushions every month. I hate that fucker.

Summer blathered this crap:

FRESH AIR LOVER, down here!

You can get the crisps off the net-on eBay!

Sorry, had to get that out of the way.

Kav-

My goodness, you're just collecting Americans over here. How fun is that?

Only you would search the net to find validity in your sexual prowess. You're killing me with the sex thing around here lately. he he!

Kav blathered this crap:

beckie: I just Wiki'd that guy - I've known about his stuff for years without ever actually knowing who he was - thanks! His art is amazing.

jennie: It's an epidemic! The cannibalism thing is just wrong...

duckie: At least you only have to do it once a month...I get forced to vacuum at least once a fortnight!

summer: I know, it really appeals to the needy bastard in me ;-)

As for the sex thing, well, there's plenty more where that came from...

Heh heh heh, I said "came".

freshairlover blathered this crap:

I will take you up on that. I love me some Walker's crisps.