Saturday, July 01, 2006

Exactly 180 words

The following is a short story I wrote. It had to have a beginning, a middle, and an end, and be no more than 180 words. Doing this is trickier than you'd think!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The day dawned dirty through the tiny window of my tenth floor apartment. I stuck a foot out, testing the cold tiles, working up the balls to start what I'd finished. The last morning of my life wasn't as sunny as I'd hoped it would be.


Wiping sleep from my eyes, I heated some stale coffee and lit a cigarette, then thought better of it. Those things can kill you.

In the shower, jets of water pummelling my aching back, I willed myself to fulfill my end of the bargain. It was only fair; she had given up everything for me.

My best clothes were laid out for me. I could tell how much care she had taken by the fresh folds and creases; she wanted me to look my best, my love.

The roof of my building was unimpressive, impassive, at once welcoming and hostile, depending on your intentions. Clouds guarded the sun, a perfect doomsday sentry.

Stepping to the edge of the grey, the sky like gunmetal, I said a silent prayer: I’ll see you soon, my love.

1 Comment:

Kav blathered this crap:

I've often wondered if the guy kills himself.