Friday, June 30, 2006

Abs like Brad Pitt?

Well, probably not - I like my food too much to ever get that chiselled.

These days, I'm closer to 30 than I am to 20, and I think it's starting to show. I don't look fat, exactly (though my gut tends to disagree)...the problem lies in the fact that (a) I love food and (b) I work at a desk. Playing 5-a-side football once a week just doesn't cut it anymore.

My standard diet is something like this:

Bowl of cereal before leaving house
Scone with margarine and jam mid-morning
Some sort of fattening sandwich, a bag of crisps, and probably chocolate at lunch.
A huge portion of whatever it is we're having for dinner.
Various snacks and unhealthy items while watching tv/playing PS2/having sex.

Well, maybe not while actually having sex. I keep a bowl of sugary treats handy though, for after.

Sometimes in mid-afternoon I will also sneak in another wee chocolate bar here or there.

I am just over 5'9" (5'9.5" if I was being pathetically pedantic about it...which I am), and I weigh....wait for it.....

200 pounds. That's roughly 90kg for you metric junkies.

I clock in at 29.5 on the BMI scale. To put this into perspective, a good rating is anything between 18 and 24. 25 to 29 is considered overweight, and anything above 30 is considered obese. I've spoken to my doctor, because I kinda shat myself when I saw this. I mean, I don't actually look overweight. If you were to see me on the street, you'd think I was a guy with an average build. The doc said that the BMI can be misleading if you carry more muscle mass than average. I choose to believe that this fits my situation perfectly.

Enough of the bullshit, though. I've been really frustrated playing football recently because my lack of fitness is letting me down in the second half of the matches. I joined the gym again last week. I went for the first time today.

I'm also eating much (well...slightly) better:

1 small bowl of gruel (aka All-Bran) for breakfast.
Soup and fruit for lunch.
Normal dinner.
Minumum amounts of junk-food.

I'm going to start taking
a weekly picture of my body and post it here, to see if I can actually monitor improvements in my physique. It might also motivate me, because I tend to have trouble with that. My radical, thought-provoking theory is, if I see a definite improvement, I'll be inspired to keep going. I'll call it the Phriday Physique Photo...

*goes home to take naked pics*

1 Comment:

Old Knudsen blathered this crap:

You sound like a winner, anyone that doesn't read your blog is a fool.